I am going to go out on a limb and trust that my husband is never going to read this post. That being said, in order to protect the innocent, this post is not necessarily about him. Nor is it generalizing that all men do these things. Just, you know, some of them. There are many sensitive, thoughtful, and detail-oriented men out there; heck, you may be married to one of them! This post is for the rest of
us you. I sincerely hope that I don’t lose the small number of male readers I have- I trust that if you are a man reading my blog, you are definitely one of the good ones. In fact, stop reading now.
- She tries to apologize when she does something to hurt your feelings or snap at you. He seems unclear on the meaning of apologize. Is this the same thing as admitting you made a mistake?
- He thinks it is a great idea to throw his wet towel on the bed. Where you sleep. She thinks that idea sucks.
- She makes dinner for the entire family when he is home late, and has the kitchen cleaned up before bedtime. He makes hot dogs for the kids and himself, leaves nothing ready for you, and watches TV while you do the dishes (that you didn’t use.) Oh, and plan to re-do your daughter’s math homework, since he didn’t really help her.
- She pretty much does all the same things as usual when she is sick. He will spend the entire day on the couch sleeping and periodically moaning. Also not likely to ask how you are feeling or suggest you take a nap when you catch his cold the following week.
- She will clean the entire house even though nobody is likely to comment or thank her for her efforts. He prefers to be generously praised for loading the dishwasher without being asked.
- He emerges from the shower and enjoys, much like a wet dog, shaking water over every square inch of the bathroom. She prefers to dry off in the shower.
OK, maybe I’ve been a little too hard on
*Author’s note: In the two days after I wrote this post, my husband did two incredibly thoughtful things.
The next night, he went out to dinner with a friend and came home with dessert for me. Facepalm.
**Several days later…I am now home with the stomach flu and he has done literally everything, including take the girls to and from school/daycare, cook and clean. Wow. It’s almost as if the Universe is telling me not to publish this post. What the hell…I’ll do it anyway.
Latest posts by Stephanie (see all)
- Summer Vacation: Pictured/Not Pictured - August 20, 2017
- What My 95-Year-Old Grandma Taught Me About Compassionate Parenting - August 16, 2017
- Ten Reasons I F!!!ing Love Summer - July 11, 2017